You can control your energy costs, too! Learn how.
Take action, see the difference.
- Bump your thermostat up to 78 degrees or higher. You’ll save about 3 percent on your cooling costs for each degree you raise it.
- Set your thermostat 5 degrees higher when leaving your home for an extended period of time.
- During the afternoon, close window shades and drapes to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Be sure your central AC is properly sized and installed correctly for optimal energy efficiency and comfort. Check with an HVAC professional to determine the right size unit for your home.
- Shopping for a room air conditioner? Check out ENERGY STAR® qualified models. They use at least 10 percent less energy than standard models.
- Call an insulation specialist to make sure you have the right amount of insulation to keep cool air in and hot air out.
- Set your ceiling fan to blow air downward. This cools the air so you can set the thermostat a little higher. It only costs about $2 a month to use fans to circulate air, but remember to turn them off when you leave the house!
- Make sure furniture and drapes don’t block air vents or returns.
- Replace your air filters regularly.
- Plant shrubs and vines next to your home to help insulate exterior walls. Make sure there will be at least one foot of space between the wall and the plant once it is mature.
- Plant deciduous trees on the east and west sides of your home to shade windows. Also think about adding trees or shrubs around patios, driveways and even your AC unit.*
- Be sure you take the mature height of trees into consideration when you decide where to plant. You don’t want them to grow into power lines. *Arbor Day Foundation
The actions you take every day can help or hurt your energy bill. Walk through your home or office with this room-by-room checklist and find out how the little things you do make a big difference.Get the checklist
“Ameren Illinois gave me options that fit my needs.” - Marcia, Ameren Illinois Customer
“Ameren Illinois answered all my questions and helped me improve my home.” - Ray, Ameren Illinois Customer
“Ameren Illinois’ lighting program helped me save about $1,500 a year.” - Kim – Dog Sports at Kim’s, Ameren Illinois Commercial Customer
“We’re saving money and providing a better work environment, thanks to Ameren Illinois.” - Scott – Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois, Ameren Illinois Commercial Customer
“Ameren Illinois offered me a variety of programs to make my bills more manageable.” - Shawn, Ameren Illinois Customer